Wednesday, October 18, 2017 by Janine Acero
Biphenyl is an aromatic organic compound found in alcoholic beverages. It is a flavoring agent and food preservative, especially for citrus fruits, according to an entry published on Pub Chem. It is detected in bilberry, wine grape, carrot, peas, rum, potato, bell pepper, tomato, butter, milk, smoked fatty fish, cocoa, coffee, roast peanuts, olive, buckwheat, and tamarind. Biphenyl occurs naturally in coal tar, crude oil. and natural gas, and has been shown to have anti-coagulant and catabolic functions.
Exposure to high levels of biphenyl is known to cause fatal medical problems to the lungs when inhaled or ingested. Acute exposure to the colorless crystal triggers irritation upon contact with the eyes, nose, throat, mucous membranes and the respiratory tract.
Exposure to high levels of biphenyl vapors or dusts in the workplace causes inflammation of the respiratory tract, kidney disease, and liver damage. Some of the symptoms of biphenyl exposure, as reported on Toxicology Data Network, include cough, headache, flaccid paralysis, anorexia, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, bronchitis, insomnia, depression, memory loss, facial paralysis, vertigo, numbness and aching of the extremities and fatigue.
High levels of biphenyl concentration is particularly hazardous to the eyes, nose, skin, and throat. The substance is also highly toxic to the respiratory system, liver, and central nervous system.
ScienceLab lists some first-aid tips after being exposed to, or making contact with, biphenyl:
Biphenyl is an irritant to the eyes, nose, throat and skin.
Biphenyl causes inflammation to the respiratory tract.
Biphenyl is highly toxic to the liver and kidneys.
Biphenyl is harmful to the respiratory system and central nervous system.
Tagged Under: Tags: Biphenyl