Friday, August 03, 2018 by Zoey Sky
Albuterol inhalation (Albuterol INH) is a bronchodilator. It relaxes the muscles in the airways of a patient, and it increases air flow to their lungs.
Albuterol INH can help treat or prevent bronchospasm in individuals with reversible obstructive airway disease. The substance can also help prevent exercise-induced bronchospasm.
Albuterol INH is often prescribed for adults and children aged four years old and above. The substance is also known by the brand names ProAir HFA, ProAir RespiClick, Proventil HFA, and Ventolin HFA.
Known health risks or side effects of Albuterol INH
Albuterol INH may cause side effects such as:
- Dry mouth and throat
- A headache or dizziness
- Mild nausea, vomiting
- Muscle pain
- A runny or stuffy nose
- Sleep problems/insomnia
- A sore throat
List of organs that might be affected by Albuterol INH
Albuterol INH may cause the following complications:
- Bronchospasm – Signs include chest tightness, trouble breathing, and wheezing.
- Chest pain and an uneven heartbeat
- Low potassium – Signs include confusion, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or feeling limp, and an irregular heart rate.
- Nervousness and tremors
- High blood pressure – Signs include anxiety, blurred vision, buzzing in the ears, chest pain, confusion, a seizure, severe headache, shortness of breath, and uneven heartbeats.
Food items or nutrients that have similar effects to Albuterol INH
The following foods or nutrients have similar effects to Albuterol INH include:
- Chili peppers – Chili peppers can help open up airways since peppers can stimulate fluids in the mouth, throat, and lungs. When fluids increase in the body, the mucus formed during an asthma attack thins out, making it easier to cough up.
- Onions – Onions are full of anti-inflammatory properties that can minimize the constriction of the airways during an asthma attack.
- Orange juice – Orange juice contains vitamin C, the main antioxidant in the lining of the bronchi and bronchioles. Patients with asthma have low levels of vitamin C and consuming foods rich in the vitamin can reduce wheezing by 30 percent. Foods rich in vitamin C include blueberries, broccoli, papaya, red bell pepper, and strawberries.
- Yogurt – Yogurt contains vitamin B12 that can help address the symptoms of asthma. Vitamin B12 can also help prevent asthma attacks.
Treatment and management options for the side effects of Albuterol INH
Several treatments and management options can help prevent the side effects associated with Albuterol INH.
For dry mouth:
- Avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine like coffee and tea. Alcohol increases water loss by triggering frequent urination. Meanwhile, both alcohol and caffeine will cause dry mouth.
- Don’t eat salty foods, dry foods (e.g., crackers, dry bread, and dry meats/poultry/fish, dried fruit) and foods and beverages with high sugar content.
- Hydrate and drink a lot of water to keep the mouth moist and to loosen mucus.
- Moisten foods with broths, soups, or sauces.
If a patient develops diarrhea after using Albuterol INH, have them follow the BRAT diet.
BRAT stands for “bananas, rice, apples, toast,” four bland foods that won’t aggravate the digestive system. These foods are also binding, meaning they can help firm up loose stools.
Other foods included in the BRAT diet are:
- Apple juice
- Cooked cereal
- Soda crackers
Patients with diarrhea will also need to stay hydrated to replace the fluids that they are losing. Aside from drinking a lot of water, patients can consume the following foods and drinks:
- Clear broths (e.g., beef or chicken broth, with the grease removed)
- Coconut water with vitamins or electrolytes (don’t drink coconut water with a high sugar content)
- Weak and decaffeinated tea
Where to learn more
Albuterol inhalation (Albuterol INH) is a bronchodilator. It relaxes the muscles in the airways of a patient, and it increases air flow to the lungs.
Albuterol INH may cause side effects such as diarrhea, dry mouth, and muscle pain.
Albuterol INH may cause complications like bronchospasm, chest pain, and low potassium.
Chili peppers, onions, orange juice, and yogurt have similar effects to Albuterol INH.
Staying hydrated and following the BRAT diet can help prevent the side effects associated with Albuterol INH, such as dry mouth and diarrhea.